Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sugru: almost too much fun

I'm very enthusiastic about fixing broken things (some might say this could have something to do with how often I manage to break things). A steady stream of small repairs pass across my workbench - a little bit of carpentry, gluing, riveting, fibreglassing, etc.


Sugru in action

Plastic, though, has always been a problem - until now. I've recently got a little packet full of sachets of a new "wonder material" from Sugru.com . The 50g sachets contain a material which looks and handles a lot like plasticene - very easy to shape and mold. Unlike plasticene, it starts to set about 30 minutes after coming out of the sachet. The really neat thing about it is that it sticks very well to whatever I've put it on. So far, I've repaired a screwdriver handle(plastic), a plastic basin with a long thin crack, a couple of long gashes on my brothers wetsuit (neoprene), and put a little blob on my gate (steel) to keep its bolt a little quieter.

Any negatives? Well, it does come in sachets, so once you open one, it's a use-it-or-loose-it situation. So far though, this hasn't been much of a drawback - it is so easy and fun to use, you'll just be looking for things you can stick it to.


No comments: