Tuesday, January 6, 2009

CPU Hog

So there I was, tapping away at quotidian tasks, when I noticed my PC was responding with all the dash and verve of a fossilized member of Testudinidae. A quick glance at Task Manager showed that GoogleDesktop.exe was the CPU hog - apparently, it required 99% of CPU to index the work I was doing with the other 1%. Surely that couldn't be right?

Well, I love the speed and power of Google's Desktop search, so I didn't like to just kill the offending process. To get me a little extra responsiveness from my PC while I searched for a better fix, I using Task Manager to give the GoogleDesktop.exe process a lower priority. To find the real problem, I would need more data on what GoogleDestktop.exe was trying to do - so I installed the impressively capable and friendly Process Monitor (a free trouble-shooting tool from Microsoft).

This tool gives details on the interactions of running processes with the operating system, and updates in realtime. For example, I could see GoogleDesktop opening new files and folders to index them even as I created them. What was interesting was that GoogleDesktop.exe was also repeatedly accessing a file called hes.evt, even when there was nothing new to index. I deleted this file, and an instate later, a new hes.evt appeared (at first I thought it hadn't been deleted, but the new one was tiny and had an up-to-the-second creation date).

And now... CPU usage fell away to "idle" levels, and Google Desktop Search still works. Great result, but what was the underlying problem? No idea whatsoever.

No comments: